Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Portraits of Life and Death

Afterimage
curated by Dahlia Tulett-Gross and Thea Liberty Nichols
Center for Book and Paper Arts
Columbia College Chicago
An intimate reflection has been my latest series of portraits influenced by African art and Caribbean culture. My focus is the simplification of the form to create a representation. In past works, I inserted masks as representations to create identity barriers. This idea is inversely explore in my new work. Masks possess the qualities of being protective devices for either a living organism or a myth. The gathering of this representation is a reflection formulated around my life experiences. I amplify my moral and emotional concerns by designing a drawing cluster inspired by ecclesiastic designs that impacted me during my formative years.



No comments: